Starting high school can be intimidating as a freshman. However, some freshmen figure out the ropes quickly and thrive. To celebrate these special individuals, we're spotlighting the Cedar Creek High School Class of 2024 athletes who made Varsity teams as freshmen. For the Fall/Winter 2020 edition, we considered football, volleyball, basketball, cheerleading, and cross country.
1. Robert Conrad, Basketball - Robert made the Varsity boys basketball team and has already made a splash, scoring points in every game. He has even been the high point man in at least one of the games. Keep it up, Robert!
2. Erin Jameson, Basketball - Erin played the first game of the season on the JV team but was quickly moved up to Varsity. She has had playing time in each Varsity game since then. Erin also made the JV volleyball team, as well as Varsity band.
3. Chris Nino, Football - Chris started the season on the Freshman football team but was moved up to Varsity after a few games. He got a good amount of playing time and even made a game saving defensive play, stopping a reception in the end zone.
4. Paisley Smith, Cross Country - Paisley competed on the Varsity XC team in every meet and finished 7th place in District, qualifying for Regionals. She medaled in five out of the six meets she competed in. Paisley also made the JV volleyball team and the JV basketball team, as well as Varsity band.
5. Matthew Sobeck, Cross Country - Matthew competed on the Varsity XC team in every meet this season. He medaled in at least one of the meets, contributed points to several team wins, and finished 16th place in District.
6. Madison Spiro, Cross Country - Madi competed on the Varsity XC team in every meet this season, although a shoulder injury caused her to be unable to finish two of the races. She medaled in at least two of the meets and finished 25th in District. Madi also made the Freshman cheer squad.
Congratulations to these amazing athletes for their accomplishments! The Creek is rising!!!